Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC:

High Fuel usage 5 years 2 months ago #1

• Gonzalez
  • Gonzalez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Currently my Kadjar (1.2Tce) fuel usage stands at 29mpg when i think it's claimed at 47mpg.
I do two thirds of my driving in town and according to my trip computer i have not used fuel for 500km (approx). My current mileage reads at 3700km
Is there anything that can be done to improve it's mpg? as it's way below what is suggested by Renault

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

High Fuel usage 5 years 2 months ago #2

• PatWar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 55
Yes, sounds about right: it's a combination of short runs, lots of stop-start and of course cold weather. I'm not getting much more than low thirties but on a longer run at a steady 40 to 60 mph I can get an average of 35ish. Under the old system they worked out the mpg on a rolling road, no inclines. If you live anywhere "hilly" forget it. A good tip: when filling up zero all gauges, not just the trip mileage, otherwise the mpg is carried over. Zero the mpg the same way as trip meter.
formerly 2017 Dynamique S Nav 1.2 TCE in Cosmos Blue, RLink 3.3.16.981
now 2020 Captur S-Edition TCE130 manual in Desert Orange with Black Roof
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzalez

High Fuel usage 5 years 2 months ago #3

• terryp
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Cold weather and short runs is a recipe for high fuel consumption. My 1.2Tce Auto is showing 32 mpg and has only achieved this because it has had a couple of longer journeys.
Once the weather warms up this should improve.
2020 GT Line 1.3 Tce Nice shade of Blue

High Fuel usage 5 years 2 months ago #4

• duracel3634
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
I get 32 mpg locally around town and short trips.
I did a run from Hastings to Canterbury and back last weekend and got 40 mpg
Last year a run from Bristol to Hastings got me up to 45 mpg, the best I have ever had. 
2016 Black 1.2 TCE Signature Nav S Manual Petrol Bose with Tech Pack and Drop Tow Bar
Running Rlink 2 Version: 9.0.34.611 Boot 5661- Self activated Android Auto - Map Version: mappackage_tt_feu_mid_2018_06
Renault Austral Estate1.2 E-Tech FHEV Iconic Esprit Alpine 5dr Auto 4C

High Fuel usage 5 years 2 months ago #5

• MD99
  • Thank you received: 6
Agree here with these ballpark figures and that the old manufacturers figures were never meant to be achieved in the 'real world' . Hence we now have WLTP 'World harmonised Light vehicles Test Procedure' which should be closer to what consumers achieve.

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/84919/what-is-wltp-and-nedc-mpg-economy-figures-explained

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/real-mpg/

I get 31mpg around London, 36mpg on motorway at 70s mph, and if stick to 65mph (via gps, dash is 2 mph over reading at this speed) get 40mpg + if keep this steady speed of 65mph. Any periods of acceleration after braking and then resuming 65mph will then drop back to 36mpg .

I never use the ECO mode and generally have the aircon on ,fan speed low, all year all journeys to keep the seals lubricated and the pump from sticking.

A lot of people in the car industry, even cynical journalists,  say using premium fuels like Shell V power will improve mpg, performance, and engine life.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/fuel/101266/premium-fuel-explained-is-it-worth-paying-more-for-premium-diesel-or-premium-petrol

It's a small petrol engine working hard all the time in a medium size bodyshell, it's never going to be 40 to 50mpg.

Last edit: by duracel3634. Reason: Make links clickable

High Fuel usage 5 years 2 months ago #6

• turboted10
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
Well at least you've now asked actual owners and believe me, no one gets near what Renault claim. The comments about the cold are correct too. I'm a stickler for keeping an eye on fuel usage but mine is a 1.5 diesel. All summer I averaged 53-54 mpg, over the last two months on longer journeys than usual it's struggling to hold 50mpg.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds