Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Spanner Light And Check Vehicle - Clutch Position Sensor related 11 months 2 weeks ago #1

• Mydave2003
  • Mydave2003's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All, 

Relatively new to this site, so not sure if this enquiry is in the correct post, but anyway, I have an annoying fault that keeps coming up on the dashboard, when I am stationary with the stop/start in operation, and could do with some guidance, please?
Either with the Parking Brake engaged, or just holding on the Foot Brake, and with my foot off the Clutch pedal, after about 5 seconds, the Orange spanner light comes on with the message check vehicle?
This remains on, unless you turn the car off for a minimum of 10 minutes, after which this disappears, until this process is repeated - if you don't use Stop Start (i.e. releasing the Clutch), this doesn't show?
Using a Code reader, it says that this is related to the Clutch Positioning sensor, but I've never heard of one of these before?
The stop start comes back on when I press the Clutch pedal, and the Automatic brake also functions correctly.
Doesn't appear to have any effect on the car whatsoever, apart from the annoying warning light?

Any suggestions welcome, 

Thanks

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Spanner Light And Check Vehicle - Clutch Position Sensor related 11 months 4 days ago #2

• Mydave2003
Hi all, 

So as an update to this issue, I purchased a replacement Clutch position sensor and fitted this last night.
The Car drives smoother, and seems a bit more responsive, (which is odd), but I still get the Orange spanner, 5 seconds after the Stop-Start has engaged - with this de-activate, the spanner light never comes on?
Still no other effects on any of the operations of Parking Brake, Hill Assist, or Stop-Start Functions, just the damn annoying orange spanner and Check Vehicle message?

Would appreciate any thoughts on this one?

Thanks

Spanner Light And Check Vehicle - Clutch Position Sensor related 10 months 3 weeks ago #3

• Mydave2003
Hi All, 

On further investigations, and the purchase of another diagnostic reader, it's flagging up an Implausible Oil Pressure Sensor Signal, each time the Orange Spanner Light comes on - If you clear this DTC, the light goes off.
So does anyone have any idea if the Oil Pressure sensor and the Clutch position Sensor are linked in any way? (Can't find Wiring Diagrams to see)...
The only other thought is if the Battery is low and when in Start Stop, there is drop in the voltage, but then the engine would normally restart, or not allow Stop-Start in the first place? 
If this is Oil Pressure, then this would surely come on all the time, to warn of an Oil system Problem, or a faulty sensor...
Would really appreciate any thoughts or assistance, 

Thanks

Dave

Spanner Light And Check Vehicle - Clutch Position Sensor related 8 months 3 weeks ago #4

• Mydave2003
Hi All, 

Finally solved this one, with the help of another Renault Forum Site...
Turns out that the light being on, isn't related to the Clutch Position sensor (that was a separate warning), but was the Oil Pressure Switch Input.
The Clip software confirmed that the oil pressure switch signal was implausible too.
Checking the operation of the switch with the engine off, the switch closed as expected, what I forgot to check was that the switch actually grounded back to the body and the battery.

So the part that the sensor screws into is actually made of plastic!.. so they have made a metal strip that is attached to the metal thread insert, and this tracks round the Oil Filter Housing and appears to just push against the Oil Cooler Housing when assembled.
The issue comes in that rather than terminating this on a screw, they rely on this pressing against the oil cooler, and over time this oxidizes and the connection is lost.

The permanent fix is to get a solder tag washer and make a lead up to this, which you attach to one of the accessible Sump bolts, and then fit this under the Oil Pressure sensor, ensuring that you have a good seal of course on the sensor itself.
I didn't want to dismantle this again so I used a spade crimp that I flattened and then shaped to the Hexagon of the Oil Pressure Sensor, and then held this in place with a Jubilee Clip - the other end with a ring Crimp to the sump bolt closest to the sensor.

All Fixed - No Orange light when stationary or just with Ignition On...

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

!!

I guess if I ever have to remove the Oil Cooler then I might see if there is a cleaner solution, but I hope this helps someone else out there...

Thanks

Dave

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page:
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds