Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hill start assist 4 years 7 months ago #1

• Jääskeläinen
  • Jääskeläinen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi

I recently bought used Renault Kadjar tce 130. it's 2018 model with manual gear box. I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. But I have had some difficulties with Hill start assist. If I lift my foot from brake pedal and try to get moving immediately (as I normally do when not in a slope), there is a rumbling noise and car resists to move. In a bad case engine will also stop. Looks like that breaking system is not released when pushing gas pedal. Manual says only that system will hold the car in a place about 2 seconds. Is this normal behaviour, and should I just wait that 2 seconds (after lifting my foot from brake pedal) before doing anything?
The following user(s) said Thank You: kadjar122

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hill start assist 4 years 7 months ago #2

• JohnBridge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My understanding is that the handbrake is applied automatically for that 2 seconds. If you were parked with the handbrake on, you would simply accelerate away and the engine torque (or something!) makes the handbrake release. The same applies to the hill-start-assist, you do NOT have to wait the 2 seconds for the handbrake to release - I never have! I do have issues with starting-on-a-slope though: basically the 1.2 petrol engine has not very much torque, so the designers have built-in that as your foot rises off the clutch, the engine management makes the engine revs rise - so increasing the torque for setting off. As part of that technology, the "bite" point of the clutch is set quite high (?)
The procedure which works for me (Sept 2017 petrol) is a quite rapid lifting-of-the-clutch to Release the handbrake, followed by a brief clutch press and a "normal" use of the clutch/accelerator to move away. I find it clumsy, others (in the Old Forum maybe) said they have no problems with simply accelerating away like they have in any car. For us, we won't ever choose a small-turbo-petrol-engine Manual-Geared car again because of it...

Hill start assist 4 years 7 months ago #3

• Boyko
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 76
I need to verify this but I don't have my car atm, but you can check yourself: On a colleagues Tiguan, if I don't put the seatbelt on then the electric handbrake does not release automatically. As the hill start assist is essentially the handbrake being applied, it might be the case for the Kadjar
One of the first Kadjars from Nov. 2015 - 1.2 TCe Manual ZEN - "old" R-Link (gen 1.1, soft 2.2) successfully updated to 3.3 with AA

Hill start assist 4 years 6 months ago #4

• Robertp
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199
Hill start assist simulate brake pedal pressure... for 2-3 seconds, not handbrake. But there are some requirements to activate this feature... incliantion of vehicle must be at least 4 degree (uphill, downhill), brake pedal must be apply "to the metal"...
2016 White 1.6 dCi 4WD BOSE with Premium Techno Pack, Winter Pack, Panoramic glass roof & autodipp mirror and retractable towbar.
Added ambient illumination, few chrome trims,
Replaced R-Link2 V2.2 SW version 9. 0.34.611, enabled Android Auto and CarPlay (change USB slots)
Maps: Here 2022Q2

Hill start assist 4 years 5 months ago #5

• ssnjoff
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello.
Same happened to me today.
Did you solve the problem?
Thanks in advance.

Hill start assist 2 years 8 months ago #6

• Sealate
  • Thank you received: 0
Is there a way to disable hillstart assist?  I hate it and don't need it.  I have a particularly bad corner, an angled access to a busy main road which is on a slight incline, where I need to accelerate to avoid holding up traffic.  The car feels like it needs a push as I crawl into the main road.  My previous car did not have hillstart and this corner was never a problem. 

• Page:
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds