Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC:

Latest maps 5 years 1 month ago #31

• Boyko
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 76

I still don't get why you guys are updating the built-in map, when AA is now broadly available on every Kadjar. Even if you're a die-hard iPhone user you could still get a cheap Android phone to keep in the car at all times. Android offers various maps options, including free and offline maps (so you don't even need a SIM card in the phone).

Although, I'm tech-addicted since a kid and have used all possible GPS apps and gadgets since the early days and am quite into Google maps, OSMAnd and so on, the RLINK navigation outperforms all of them in regard to car-navigation. It's much more accurate in traffic obstructions, delays and others. It's better in offering route alternatives on the go, regarding these obstruction and finally, it fits the whole screen :) 

I guess the difference in R-Link generation is playing here - mine is quite unreliable in terms of traffic and delays, it basically works only on full moon and on 29th of Feb .. most of the time I get no traffic data at all - its always been the case for me. So I find google maps / waze to be ways ahead and more accurate, and of course more up-to-date with new roads and directions.

I didn't get the "fills all screen" argument - AA fills it too :) see pics:

One of the first Kadjars from Nov. 2015 - 1.2 TCe Manual ZEN - "old" R-Link (gen 1.1, soft 2.2) successfully updated to 3.3 with AA

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest maps 5 years 1 month ago #32

• Robertp
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199
My Kadjar is manufactured in 12/2015 and has first registration on 1/2016 (like our UK friend says it has 16 plate), so R-Link device is basically same as yours. And I agree with AOne regarding navigation. I bought TomTom Live traffic subscription and it is amazing and accurate!
I did upgrade device to 3.3.16.961, enabled AA, bought second-hand Sony Xperia XA for 50EUR just for AA but... AA force to have BT connection with phone used for AA therefore it drops connection with my iPhone constantly (as I wrote) so it is useless. If I want to have live traffic on AA then I must either put a SIM into android phone and enabled DATA or do tethering with my iPhone. R-LINK 2 has no such a problem. Next... Driving out from EU (like Switzerland, Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro) roaming cost for data transfers a huge... Another plus for R-LINK2... Do I need to put another?
Yes, it is nice to have it, for Android users it is useful as long you are in EU and not leaving it... I will definitely wait and search for result if somebody manage to activate CarPlay with replacing front USB module in dashboard (arr. 160EUR new part). 
2016 White 1.6 dCi 4WD BOSE with Premium Techno Pack, Winter Pack, Panoramic glass roof & autodipp mirror and retractable towbar.
Added ambient illumination, few chrome trims,
Replaced R-Link2 V2.2 SW version 9. 0.34.611, enabled Android Auto and CarPlay (change USB slots)
Maps: Here 2022Q2

Latest maps 5 years 1 month ago #33

• AOne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 251

These are driving me insane :D Totally kills me ... You're actually using only half of the screen. Besides, the black bars and buttons are way better on the built-in navigation (these are too bright in GM and Waze) and it's much easier to navigate through menus, shortcuts and needed info. Everything is only one touch away from you. I can instantly check were is my next way-point or important crossing, which time I'll be there, how long would the next traffic jam take, and make plans earlier and so and so on...

I'm only using AA, when somebody has sent me a location I need to get to and I don't want to bother dialing the address, but just instantly plug in the phone...
1.6 dCI, 2WD, Zen+ , Retractable Tow Bar.
RLink 2 - V9.0.34.610, Here Maps (2021/Q4) + TomTom POIs and SpeedCams (2021_06)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by AOne.

Latest maps 5 years 1 month ago #34

• Boyko
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
So it ends up being a matter of use case - I drive mostly in BG, and even when I go abroad its still in the EU (Greece). I also mostly use online maps (with all the benefits - traffic / roads data etc), but then I don't drive that much for my data plan to get exhausted.

Btw I tried to check how much does the map subscription cost currently and I don't see it available in the Rlink store (my plan expired about an year ago) - so even if I wanted I am not able to renew and update my map. Good job Renault!
One of the first Kadjars from Nov. 2015 - 1.2 TCe Manual ZEN - "old" R-Link (gen 1.1, soft 2.2) successfully updated to 3.3 with AA

Latest maps 5 years 1 month ago #35

• Boyko
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

These are driving me insane :D Totally kills me ...

You see the little X in the corner? Thats to close these :) at least on Waze it works so (and doesn't stop the route navigation).

But I got your point - if the R Link map works well for you thats great, I guess its up to preference :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: AOne

Latest maps 5 years 1 month ago #36

• AOne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 251
In Google Maps it quits the navigation :) In the meantime, I extended my previous post :) But, Yes you're right. It's all a matter of personal taste...
Can't the plan be extended via the Store on a PC? 
1.6 dCI, 2WD, Zen+ , Retractable Tow Bar.
RLink 2 - V9.0.34.610, Here Maps (2021/Q4) + TomTom POIs and SpeedCams (2021_06)

Last edit: by AOne.
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds