Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC:

Winter tyres/wheels and TPMS 5 years 7 months ago #7

• Guzzilazz
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
It's not just snow and ice, winter tyres are a compound better suited to lower temps... There was a thread on the Captur forum last winter, and there are a number of Northern Europeans who change their tyres every winter, and the point was really as much about the compound as "ice tyres" with studs etc.  I think a lot of tyres in normal UK use are suited for >8C as I recall
Larry

Essex

2017 Ford Kuga Titanium 2.0 150bhp 2wd Ruby Red
ex 2017 Kadjar Dynamique S Nav Flame Red

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Winter tyres/wheels and TPMS 5 years 7 months ago #8

• Thank you received: 8

Hello: I usually fit winter tyres on a spare set of rims and use throughout a north wales winter, keeping my usual set in the garage.  I have a set of tyres ready, and am intending to get a set of second hand rims - probably from a qashqai as they are easier to find.  My question: will I just have to accept the TPMS warning light being permanently on?  Or can I fir another set of TPMS valves at somewhere such as National Tyres - and if so, will there be a problem with the car recognising the changed TPMS valves when I then swap back to my normal rims/tyres come-April? I hope this makes sense !  Thanks...

I have two sets of wheels with TPMS valves, and there are no problems when switching from e.g. summer to winter, other than the regular setup routine in the R-Link menu, and then driving for 5-10 minutes, and all is fine again! It even seems that the car can recognize what wheel is put on the front, and what wheel is put on the rear if you would like to switch every year.

Winter tyres/wheels and TPMS 5 years 7 months ago #9

• Guzzilazz
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
PS... if you do a YouTube search for "winter tyres vs summer tyres".  There are lots of good short videos showing braking distance and handling changes with temperature, rain and snow.  Worth 10 minutes of your time
Larry

Essex

2017 Ford Kuga Titanium 2.0 150bhp 2wd Ruby Red
ex 2017 Kadjar Dynamique S Nav Flame Red

Winter tyres/wheels and TPMS 5 years 7 months ago #10

• Thank you received: 8
Winter tyres have much shorter braking distance than summer tyres at winter temperatures as well as on ice and snow.
Perhaps more unknown is that winter tyres have quite a bit longer braking distance than summer tyres during summer temperatures.
Spiked tyres do not prolong the braking distance compared to spike-less winter tyres on dry roads, since the spike-less tyres are softer and their threads do not hold up to the higher braking forces so well. Then again I do understand that spiked tyres are not an alternative in most of the UK.
I don't really know about the Michelin all weather tyres, other than that they are sold as summer tyres in Sweden!

Winter tyres/wheels and TPMS 5 years 4 months ago #11

• Fenlli
  • Thank you received: 6
Hello again - a rather belated update...  I bought a second hand set of qashqai wheels with winter tyres a few weeks ago.  No idea at the time if they had TPMS valves, or if they would work with the Kadjar.  Anyway, I fitted them today and, as expected, the tyre pressure warning light came on after a few miles driving.  Without much optimism, I initiated the search for sensors function and then - to my delight - the system found that the wheels had TPMS valves in them, recognised them, and all is well. 

So - just to let you know, the Nissan qashqai TPMS sensors work with the Kadjar.  Hope this may be of use to anyone considering putting on the more widely available qashqai wheels...
The following user(s) said Thank You: duracel3634, AOne, MD99

Winter tyres/wheels and TPMS 5 years 4 months ago #12

• turboted10
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
Good to hear the end result, but for others qashqai only had these after many years production so check if it's important.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds