Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

blowing windscreen 4 years 10 months ago #1

• Spanish Eyes
  • Spanish Eyes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am asking this question here because I am having a Renault/Arnold Clark dealership problem.
We took delivery of our Kadjar in April last year when it was just over two years old and had done about 15,000 miles. Except for one trip of about 80 miles each way the car then was left in the garage until the beginning of June 2018. We had a trip to Falkirk, Scotland which is about 200 miles each way in July. On a particular stretch of Scottish motorway we heard a strange noise that we could not pinpoint and put it down to road surface. We did normal journeys from then until early September when we took the car over to Spain where it stayed until last week. Note: - the car stayed we didn’t, we flew home several times. Our holiday home is about 700 km's from port and the journey was done without any noises but we started hearing them shortly after. We first began to hear them on a country road leading to our next village. The timing of the noises was very spasmodic and we began to realise it was down to wind direction and came through the windscreen at speeds as low as 90kph (the speed limit for the road). While we were home in April we called in at our local dealership and made an appointment for the windscreen to be checked out, fully expecting this to be covered by the four year warranty.
The noises continued spasmodically until early May when four of us took a short break to the other side of Spain, that is from the west coast to the east, near the boarder of Portugal, The trip was a nightmare with a constant high wind noise that never stopped, we were doing a constant 120kph which is the national speed limit. Coming back to the UK it wasn’t quite as constant but the noise seems worse going east/west rather than north/south. Imagine our disappointment when firstly the dealership refused to repair this and then Renault agreed with them. The reason being it was an ‘old’ car and it was wear and tear not a manufacturing fault or it would have shown up earlier. I maintain that this cannot be proved either way and is a grey area. If the previous owners did not drive it much on Motorways or were slightly deaf, if their journeys were not in the wrong direction on the right day, any number of reasons could be found for this not coming to light earlier, don’t forget it was a low mileage car when we bought it. The customer service person at Renault was not interested in listening to me, in fact he rather liked the sound of his own voice and interrupted me several times. As an example he managed to get my name wrong even though I corrected him three times, in the end giving up and leaving him to it.
Sorry, I have added a lot of info but I am now unsure of what to do. The ‘Motor Ombudsman’ seems to have a very poor 94% rating for handling claims so should I try Trading Standards ‘not fit for purpose route or where else can I go? I do NOT believe that a correctly fitted windscreen can become faulty//worn within any timescale never mind just over two years.
Has anyone had any similar experience?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Spanish Eyes. Reason: wrong mileage

Re:blowing windscreen 4 years 10 months ago #2

• AOne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 251
Try with another Renault dealer.
Is it possible, that could be the upper window sealing. Check the trim, if it's loosened or unglued.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
1.6 dCI, 2WD, Zen+ , Retractable Tow Bar.
RLink 2 - V9.0.34.610, Here Maps (2021/Q4) + TomTom POIs and SpeedCams (2021_06)

blowing windscreen 4 years 10 months ago #3

• Redkadj
  • Thank you received: 10
Renault are well aware of this problem, don't be fobbed off by dealers. I had my screen removed and resealed under warranty soon after we got it. (New in Oct 2016).
The symptoms you describe match what ours were.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spanish Eyes

• Page:
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds